Saturday, July 17, 2010

Literature

One of my favorite things is to view any magazine printed in the 40s and 50s. It gives you such a genuine window into that time period and the people in it. Today at a thrift store in St. Petersburg, FL, I picked up an issue of SONG PARADE "america's foremost lyric magazine" from October 1941.
I tried to find some information on the company, and how many issues were printed, to no avail. There are a few up on ebay here and there, but they don't seem too high in demand. It seems it was the TV guide of radio. There are schedules for all 7 days of the week.

And the advertisements! My goodness, they're a hoot. Their pitches to appeal to people is so hysterical, it makes you wonder how much people bought into it!
I do!


Ah, yes. Men do care if you have "shine".
I also took this lovely shopping opportunity to find myself a lovely ivory colored cardigan sweater and adorable dark plaid cotton button down. 
Earlier, I was just wearing the shirt and with the hair kerchief, I looked like I was going to go work on a car!
This is the tag for the sweater. It is very soft. Apparently Luisa Spagnoli was in business for clothing and chocolate. She passed in 1935. Her son took over the company after her death and the clothing was turned from a craft scale to industrial scale. She tried. I appreciate that. 


The shirt's tag said:


Ah, good 'ol Penney's. Apparently this shirt isn't too old because it includes instructions for tumble drying. Ah well, you get what you can, you know?


I also snatched this adorable scarf with delicious cherries and strawberries. Don't know what I'll pear (yes, pear) it with yet, but I'm sure I'll think of something.

Until next time,
-L

No comments:

Post a Comment